Sunday, October 16, 2011

Hair update--4 months

According to my stylist, I now have about 2 inches of new growth.  I have wanted to try a straw set for years, but never had the courage to do so (I have an unbelievably large head so I wasn't sure if it would look OK).  When researching the transition to natural hair, I found that a straw set is a fabulous transition style because both textures of my hair (relaxed and natural) are incorporated very well in the style. So I figured, "why not?"


A hair pin keeps the hair secure around the drinking straw.

Yes, actual straws are used in a straw set.

This style only took 5 hours!   I also had my hair trimmed and washed (I’m trimming about 1.5 inches of the relaxed ends every other month, instead of a drastic “big chop”).  Throughout this post, you’ll see how well it held up (1 week, 5 days) with a great ‘fro the last 2 days! The style probably could have lasted another week, but since I exercise 4-6 days a week, I couldn't wait any longer to wash my hair.


Release the curls!

There were two reasons I finally decided to do a straw set: 
1 - My hair looked horrendous worn in a ponytail everyday. 
2 - Daniel flew me home to Atlanta!  I was an army kid and moved often, but Georgia is where a majority of my life was spent.  I moved to VA about 4 years ago, intending it to only be for a year, but then I met the man that became my husband and so now I visit GA whenever I can.

Look how short it is the day after!  It loosens and falls after a couple of days.


I stayed with my LS, Niecy for the visit.  Unfortunately, she didn’t like any of the photos I took of her, so you won’t be able to see her gorgeous face.  Niecy knows me so well.  As soon as my flight landed, she took me to dinner.  There are several restaurants that aren’t in VA, or are several hours away from where I live, and she knew that I would be ready to eat what I’ve been missing.  And I had SWEET TEA!!!!!  Although VA is below the Mason-Dixon Line, they are not the true South when it comes to that beautiful amber colored liquid.  Their sweet tea sucks (sorry VA).  I probably drank a gallon of the diabetic coma-inducing yumminess.

Krystal's

Zaxby's

Waffle House.  There are several near me, but they taste awful!

There were no big plans for my time home, I was just so happy to be there.  Other than hanging at Niecy's:

I surprised one of my oldest and best friends at a fundraising car wash for her job.  Hilary is actually one of the reasons I began to think of becoming natural.  She did a big chop about 8 years ago and I've seen her hair flourish.  It's grown so long and healthy and strong.  We also met up the next day and hung out for a few hours and visited with her mom.

Friends 17 years and counting!

Niecy and I wanted to help, so we held signs at a busy intersection.



I visited with my Sorority sisters and met their kids for the 1st time.  

Brandy's son Braylon was born at 28 weeks and is now the fattest, happiest 7 month old you've ever seen!

Patrice's twins Phaerin and Phareed.

Brandy's mother's home.  I am so proud of her!

I went to church with Niecy.

In front of Niecy's beautiful home.

Of course, time flew by swiftly and soon it was time to return to my new home in VA.  The security line at the airport went by faster than expected, so I ate breakfast at Paschal's (Hartsfield-Jackson Airport is like a tiny city:  there are restaurants, jewelry/book/clothing/vitamin stores, etc).  


French toast, sausage, and eggs.  Not bad for an airport!

I paid the tab, walked to the gate, and found my zone was boarding!  I found my seat, grabbed my ear buds and a book and settled in for the short flight (Atlanta to Newport News flights are under one and a half hours).


The woman over my shoulder has her 10 week old cuddled to her chest.

It was drizzling on lift of.  We saw nothing but clouds the first 20 minutes of the flight.

Finally--a break in the clouds.  Serene.
Daniel was waiting for me as I walked out of the terminal and it was wonderful to see him.  He gave me the biggest hug!

Alright, so are you ready to see the fabulous afro that came from the curly hairstyle?  I took a wide tooth comb, and starting from the ends, combed the curls out.  Voila!






I really enjoyed seeing myself with my hair like that.  For so many years, societal images and words made me think that straight and silky was the only way that your hair could be considered beautiful.  Now I'm realizing it's not true.  Beautiful hair is healthy and strong.  Stunning hair can come in many textures and I'm so happy to have finally "seen the light".

As always, here's a photo of Tierra.  I think she's becoming overweight--what do you think?  She's 6 months old and yet looks full grown.



Have a wonderful week everyone!


2 comments:

  1. I have always heard that those types of styles always get better and better with age. It looked really nice on you. I am glad that you are learning to embrace your natural texture more. It is very difficult when you keep wanting the silky, smooth look. The beauty of it is that if you want, you can actually get it done.

    ReplyDelete