Friday, August 19, 2011

Reason # 64 to go natural

The work week was pretty normal, but on Saturday, we went to King’s Dominion with my in-laws!  We met at Alieshia’s apartment around 7am (5 of Daniel’s 6 siblings came, as well as his sister’s boyfriends).  We stopped at Mickey D’s for those that hadn’t eaten breakfast and then hit the road.

"So...what video game are you buying next?"

*the following paragraph may be TMI—please feel free to skip*

I may not have mentioned this before, but I drink a TON of water daily—at least 85 ounces.  I knew we would be in a car for 2 hours each way, as well as being around public, crowded restrooms all day, so I made sure to slow my water consumption for the day.  I drank 4 ounces of water with breakfast, went right before leaving the apartment, and yet ONE HOUR into the drive I had to go.  I was not about to admit this so I held it.  At one point we passed a rest area on the interstate and I had to turn my head in the other direction so I wouldn’t be caught looking at it longingly.  We finally made it to the park around 9:30 and found cars parked in the road.  Daniel pulled up behind the last car, and I jumped out and asked the car next to us when the park opened---10:30.  Umm….I couldn’t hold it much longer.  I looked across the 6 lane highway and saw a Burger King (more about that later) and took off!  I hit the other side of the road and heard car engines starting—turned around and cars were pulling away.  I guess our neighbor was a little off on what time the park really opened.  I then had to run back across the lanes (while dodging traffic and trying not to tinkle on myself), jumped back in the car and then we SAT in line for paying for parking.  10 minutes later, I was finally out of my misery!

The entrance with a HUGE Cancer Awareness Snoopy

Once in the park, we immediately went for the coasters.  Since we were there at the opening, lines were less than 5 minutes for the most part.  Our 1st coaster of the day was The Dominator.  What a great way to spend a beautiful morning!  For some reason, I decided that I would squeal like that pig in the Geico commercial , so over the screaming and laughing, you could hear me yelling “Whee!  WHEE!  WHEEEEEEE!”

First coaster--oh yeah!!!


After that, a few decided to ride the boat that swings back and forth and hangs upside down.  I passed on that one because I knew I would just get nauseous.  I hung out with Dave, Kecia, and Joey for about half an hour and then we all headed to the Volcano.  The ride is short but takes off like a rocket!  Kecia and Dave wanted to ride in the front (which was a longer wait), so we could actually hear her screaming bloody murder when their turn came!

Alieshia, Antonio, Kia, and Red

The next coaster, in my fabulous opinion, is the best ride in the entire park:  The Intimidator!  It’s fashioned after NASCAR racing and it’s stupendous.  It has G forces, negative G forces (free fall), hair pin turns, and more.  I LOVE THIS RIDE!!!!!  Next to the coaster was a warehouse-type building—it turns out there’s a spaceship coaster inside of it.  The wait was pretty long, and the ride was so-so—the thrill part was that the entire coaster was in the dark.

Ride this coaster!!!!

 Afterwards, tummies were grumbling so we decided to go to the Burger King across the street to save some money.  BIG mistake!  Daniel and I decided to walk (it was less than half a mile), but halfway there, it began to rain.  We thought about going back to get the car, but either way we were going to be in it so we kept trucking along.  The burst of rain only lasted a few minutes and by then we were crossing the highway to the restaurant. 

This was the worst Burger King I’ve ever been to.  1st of all, it was 60 degrees in the store, so since we were wet from the downpour, I immediately broke out in goose bumps.  2nd, there prices were atrocious!  We ended up spending $20 on a whopper combo, value menu double cheeseburger, and nuggets ( I wanted a 4 piece, but the restaurant stated the 4 piece was only allowed if we bought a kid’s meal—so Daniel ordered a 10 piece to share).  We could have eaten in the park for those prices!  3rd, and possibly the worst offense of all, they MICROWAVED their patties.  There was no char-grilled flavor anywhere!  7-eleven next door probably had a better burger in the freezer section.  We ended up staying in Burger King for almost 2 hours—the rain came back with a vengeance. 

Shelter under the umbrellas at Burger King

½ of our group drove so once the rain slowed down, they headed back to the park to wait in the car.  Daniel, Kecia, Dave, Joey, and I decided the rain had slowed as much as possible and hit the road.  As soon as we hit the park’s parking lot—the sky opened up again and we all started running blindly for the cars.  Thankfully, Daniel found his car and picked everyone up.  We sat for a few minutes and the rain stopped.  We waited and waited and still nothing so we decided to go back into the park (since there was no lightening, the rides will still going). 

Thankfully, I’m an over-analyzer and brought extra clothes “just in case”.  After everyone else got out of the car, I quickly changed clothes and headed back to the park.  I saw Daniel and realized with horror that I had just changed into the same outfit he was wearing!  When I packed my extra clothes—it didn’t occur to me to look at his clothing choices.  A few months ago, I did a service even with my sorority and we were given T shirts for our time.  Since there were extra shirts left over, I grabbed one for Daniel.  Apparently we’re one of “those” couples that dress alike. 
*so embarrassed*
"honey, what did you say you were wearing again?"

Anyhoo—I knew before any fun began again that I would have to run to the restroom.  A few minutes after re-entering the park, Lieshia and I finished washing our hands and walked to the door---and it was pouring AGAIN!!!!!

The scene when we left the restroom

Rain, rain go away.

We found refuge on picnic tables under umbrellas, and waited it out.  At one point, I heard yelling and laughter and turned to see a group of boys embracing the weather by strutting around with no shirts.  I’m sure some teenage girls were having the time of their lives watching them walk by("OMG, Kelly, did you see them?!?" 

The rain stopped again, so Alieshia, Kia, and Kecia (the IA girls) went a picked up funnel cakes.  If you’re reading this blog, more than likely you know how much I love love love funnel cakes—but I didn’t take one bite (proud of me?)! 

Red, that is a thing of beauty in front of you--respect the funnel cake, man! Bask in it!

Kia and Lieshia

Matt munching on funnel cake goodness

Finally the sun came out.  We continued our fun filled day (including another ride on the Intimidator!!!) and had a blast for the rest of the afternoon/early evening.
Anaconda (similar to the Ninja at Six Flags over GA)

Kecia (falling asleep), Joey, and Matt

Hi, boo!  Have fun!

What is it with guys and cars?!?

I’m sure you’re wondering where the title of the post ties in with the subject matter.  If had I still had my relaxed hair blowing in the wind on our trip, after being rained on multiple times, then air dried multiple times, I would have looked like I stuck my hand in an electrical socket.  Add the fact that we were getting on roller coasters—the frizzy ball of hair would have probably leaned in some fashion toward the back of my head.  Similar to Marge Simpson, but no blue and definitely less chic.  Because of the braided style, I ended the day, just as gorgeous as I was that morning!!!! 

After riding the Intimidator 2nd time

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment